Media Law Blog Twelve


Visions 2025: Interacting with the Computers All Around Us - CRN
        My personal internet footprint is something I think about on a regular basis. Most of my life is spent online and my field of work will eventually be online so the impact I've left behind will matter more because the people I'm likely to interact with will know how to dig deeper. I search my own name on google at least once every other month if not every month. When I do this, my goal is to see just what is linked to my name and if there's anyone else out there who's adding a bad wrap to my name. Given that I have such an uncommon name, it means that as soon as I put 'Tift Hollis' down anywhere, it will become flagged by Google. All the website projects, Facebook posts, tagged posts, and more come up all at once. In a way, this has driven me to attempt to silence or hide all my activities online. It's not that I don't want people seeing what I'm doing. It's more the worry that I'll mistakenly leak my location or personal information.
    In the last few years, I have made in total under twenty Facebook or Twitter posts. Most of my internet footprint at this point comes from what other people have tagged me in. A look at the first page of google leads to my linked in, and a few Facebook posts that have me tagged. At this point, most of my personal information comes from my resumes and that shows as the spam calls and emails that I get are centered around bogus job offers. That fact has only served to further fuel my belief that it is only a matter of time until my information gets out there. Everyone's information winds up online, eventually in my belief. It won't be their fault most of the time. It will likely happen due to a data breach. There are always bad actors out there trying to pry into your information. In the end, the most you can do is try to protect yourself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Media Law Blog Nine

Media Law Blog Eight